Monday, April 26, 2010

We are Never Really Home Alone

This past week Brian and I helped out one of my friends in the Special Education Department and watched her 6 and 7 year old while she went to a professional conference. There Mother returned on Saturday evening after Brian had left earlier in the day for North Carolina. After a week of young one I was looking forward to a quiet night at home. What I got was a visitor.

I really should have learned by now if the door is open to the lobby the students just wander in and hang out and if I truly need a break I need to shut the door or hide under the bed. Well Saturday night had Kylin wandering in to just update me on the Pierpont's Relay for Life adventure and just talk. At Relay for Life the students raised money for Cancer Awareness and just had a great time. They walked over 12 miles around the track, played corn hole, and from what I heard played a mean game of dodge ball at 3am. After her stories, with the smell of tacos still in the air she asked if there was leftovers. I pointed her in the directions of the kitchen and she joined me in the living room for dinner and TV.

After looking to see that my digital download of "The Lovely Bones" was not working I flipped the TV back to live. The station it was left on was Cartoon Network and low and behold "Stuart Little 2" was on. Kylin started talking of childhood memories of the movie and so we were set for the next hour. When it was over she was comfortably encased in the couch so I made her watch "Army Wives". Of course it was one of her Mother's shows so she knew the characters. When it was over it was 10:30pm and Dr. Ann was pooped. I bid her a goodnight and went off to bed.

Although I had longed for a quiet night alone a quiet night at home with a student also works every time.

Dr. Ann

1 comment:

Unknown said...

And this is why I don't think I will ever leave Pierpont. Ann and Brian, it is the two of you that make this place feel like home. When I talk about our dinners and everything else we do with you guys, my friends get jealous and want RFLs like you. This is truly the best place to live.